Leyland P76 XG4545 (formerly HD9402)
This is only remaining Benson and Hedges Racer. Of the four P76’s that competed at the Benson and Hedges 1000 – this is only the sole survivor.
First reg: Nov 1974
The car was originally used as a demonstrator by FCOS Hawera but was later purchased to race in the B & H 1975 challenge by Ross Calgher in August 1975 with only 4000km on the clock.
Raced in the B & H 1000 by Ross Calgher and Malcolm Andrews. It's number was 18 and it finished 18th after being as high as 3rd. It would also compet in various Taranaki Car Club events of the time before being used as a tow car for his McLaren and other cars. Later it was sold to the O’Sullivan Brothers in Tongaparutu in 1986.
Registration lapsed in 1995 and was later reregistered as XG4545. (Original Number Plates are still with the car)
In 1996 it was sold to Tim Chadwick of Hawera who did some restoration work that included a respray. He also fitted the 2 barrel Holloy 500, along with a Ross Calgher camshaft at this time. Tim took it back into competition when he raced it at the Waitara Street Sprint in 1998, Ngawhini hillclimb and other club events during this period.
So Tim was approached and eventually sold the car back to Ross Calgher in 2003 who placed the it into storage.
In 2012 it was finally purchased by Andrew Larsen during June. SO far he has done further work on it by removing some rust and doing some panel resprays.
The current green is not the original colour, it is several tones darker than the original Spanish Olive.
(c) Leyland P76 Owners Club Incorporated of New Zealand